Monday 11 November 2013

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

"A little bit of fear is healthy. A lot is fatal."

Just finished typing it all up, and hey, it's almost midnight! At least I got this done in time, with... 6 minutes to spare.

Day 2: Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

Fear #1: My Fear Of Heights

I have an odd relationship with my fear of heights. On the one hand, I absolutely love roller coasters, and I have these urges to try skydiving and bungee jumping. On the other hand, I can barely climb on top of a ladder without feeling the need to piss my pants, and just being on a swing is a terrifying experience, when I'm at the top of the arc.

I don't even know when or why this fear manifested itself. All I know is that within a certain range of heights, I can not look down, or I will come close to pissing myself in fear.

Fear #2: My Fear Of Not Being Heard

I suppose this is because I've always been a timid person. Quiet voice, lack of interesting things to say... It's part of why I love my online persona; everyone has an equal chance of being heard, of having their thoughts listened to, and thought about. In meatspace, that doesn't really work out well for me.

Fear #3: My Fear Of Rejection

This is more complicated than it sounds. I don't just mean being rejected by a girl, like if I was to ask a girl out. I mean all kinds of rejection; I almost did not apply to any university because I was too scared of being rejected by any of them, that whatever I did, no matter what I wrote in my application... none of those would be good enough. That I wouldn't be good enough.

This has a more explainable reason. At least, if my theory has any basis to it. Throughout high school, I attempted to ask girls out; or, to be more precise, I would confess to them that I had feelings for them. They weren't put on the spot to go out with me, or anything. I just thought it would be a nice gesture to tell them: They would feel better about themselves (you know, the fact that someone likes them) and I get the burden of keeping it secret off my chest.

Of course, not a single one of them ever reacted well to it. At best, I got ignored, and at worst, I had this girl - who was a really sweet person, and invariably agreed to be the nicest and most innocent girl you would meet - literally swear at me, and tell me to leave her alone. All I did was send her a text saying, "Hey, how are you?" (at least, something to that effect) and I was barely doing it once every three days, let alone everyday.

It also doesn't help that I didn't really have any friends then. To be more precise, I didn't have friends who would include me in anything, excepting times when they had to. Like, I would be there when they were planning a study group, and then accidentally forget to invite me. Every time, too. Plus, I also end up hearing about other gatherings and the like that happened after they happened.

So it comes to the point where I don't even want to try anymore. I don't call people to hang out, I don't really put an effort into keeping up with friends, I don't even really add people on FaceBook. I'm just crippled by this fear of rejection, of not being wanted by anything or anyone.

Salut,
~J

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Why "Flawed Perfection"?

I chose "Flawed Perfection" because nice ones such as "Honest Lies" and "Organized Chaos" were already chosen. In fact, Flawed Perfection was already chosen as well, but among all my ideas, this one was my favourite.

I like the reminder that everything is flawed perfectly.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed